Saturday, 15 December 2012

Yegoryevsk / Егорьевск

Alexander Nevskiy Cathedral, Yegoryevsk
Alexander Nevskiy Cathedral / Собор Александра Невского
For 450 years Yegoryevsk was an ordinary village with residents  involved in agriculture. Only in 1778 by the order of Catherine II, was the status of Yegoryevsk changed to a town. By the beginning of the 19th century, the population of the town had barely reached 600 living in 100 homesteads.
450 лет Егорьевск был рядовой деревней, жители которой занимались преимущественно сельским хозяйством. Городом он стал только в 1778 году по указу Екатерины II. К началу 19 века население города насчитывало всего лишь около 600 человек, проживавших в 100 дворах.
Wooden house, Yegoryevsk
Wooden house / Деревянный дом
According to one version, Yegoryevsk received its name from a church of Old-believers dedicated to the Russian saint George the Victorious. It must be noted that after Patriarch Nikon’s church reform (1650-1660), the scarcely populated rural Yegoryevsk region became a home for Old-believer refugees, who were persecuted for their religious views.

The church was closed in 1851 due to on-going victimization of the Old-believers. Only 30 years later, the community received permission for a new religious building on the condition that the building was not to stand out in the surrounding residential area. No crosses, no icons, or other church attributes were allowed outside.
Согласно одной из версий свое название Егорьевск получил от имени Георгия Победоносца, русского святого, в честь которого в селе был построен старообрядческий храм. Надо отметить, что после церковной реформы (1650-1660) патриарха Никона, малообжитой Егорьевский район стал пристанищем для беженцев-Cтароверов, преследовавшихся за свои религиозные убеждения.

Из-за продолжавшихся гонений на  Староверов храм этот в 1851 году был закрыт. Только через 30 лет община получила разрешение на другое помещение под религиозные нужды, однако при условии, что внешне оно никак не будет выделяться среди жилой застройки. Никаких крестов, икон и пр. церковной атрибутики снаружи здания не дозволялось.
Khludovs' cotton mill, Yegoryevsk
Khludovs' cotton mill / Фабрика Хлудовых
In 1845, Yegoryevsk saw its first cotton mill, which was commenced by the efforts of the industrialists Khludovs, a local merchant dynasty of a peasant origin. The enterprise grew fast. Its shops were equipped with English machinery, including steam ones. Even the factory manager was an Englishman.

Although, the factory was very profitable, enabling the Khludovs to live in great style, as well as to pursue philanthropy and collecting, it had a poor reputation amongst workers.
В 1845 году в Егорьевске усилиями купцов династии Хлудовых, фабрикантов - выходцев из местных крестьян, была запущена первая бумагопрядильная фабрика. Предприятие быстро росло и расширялось, цеха были оснащены оборудованием английского производства, в т.ч. паровыми машинами. И даже управляющим фабрики был поставлен англичанин.

И хоть фабрика и приносила значительную прибыль, позволявшую Хлудовым жить на весьма широкую ногу, а также заниматься коллекционированием и благотворительностью, она имела плохую репутацию у работников.
Workers' barraks, Yegoryevsk
Workers' barraks / Бараки рабочих
The wages of the Khludovs’ workers were twice as low as the Russian average. Besides, the Khludovs’ system of penalties and commodity credit was often a door into a long servitude for a worker. According to a description of one of Khludovs' other factories, it might be assumed that the working day totalled 12 hours and was divided into two 6 hour shifts. The working conditions were unhealthy. Dust, heat, and stench were everywhere. The toilets were kept unclean deliberately in order that the workers were not able to rest inside due to the suffocating odour.

The workers' living conditions were no better. Dampness, congestion, sultriness, and insanitariness were the typical traits of the barracks. Often the workers slept under the shop machines after a shift.

In addition, social or economic questions could only be resolved by no other means but strikes. The owners also jockeyed for position; a two weeks’ strike in the spring of the 1893, which was accompanied by violent pogroms and caused considerable damage to the Khludovs’ property, was suppressed by the regular Army forces.
Заработная плата рабочих Хлудовых была в два раза ниже, чем в среднем по России, а из-за системы штрафов и условий товарного кредитования, рабочие нередко надолго попадали в кабалу к хозяевам. По описанию аналогичных фабрик Хлудовых можно предположить, что каждый рабочий отрабатывал по две смены в день по 6 часов в весьма неблагоприятных для здоровья условиях (пыль, жара и смрад); туалеты на этих фабриках подолгу не чистились, чтобы удушающая вонь не позволила рабочим превратить их в места отдыха.

Условия проживания рабочих были ничуть не лучше. Характерной чертой казарм были сырость, теснота, духота, и антисанитарное состояние. Часто рабочие оставались спать после смены прямо под станками в цеху.

К тому же, решение любых экономических или социальных вопросов, доставались рабочим не иначе как путем забастовок. Хозяева тоже в средствах не стеснялись, -двухнедельная забастовка весной 1893 года, сопровождавшаяся погромами, наносившими значительный урон собственности Хлудовых, была подавилена с помощью войск.
Art Nuevo fence, Yegoryevsk
Art Nuevo fence / Ограда, Модерн
Until the second half of the 19th century, Yegoriyevsk had no town lighting, no paved roads, or even approximate data on property and the town's limits. At the same time, its population  had increased tenfold.

In the 1782, everything changed. A newly appointed town head, the merchant Bardygin N.M. (1835-1901) provided Yegoryevsk with a stone trade arcade, a new bridge and a road to the train station, gas street lighting, a gymnasia, a water supply system, etc.
Вплоть до второй половины 19 века Егорьевск не имел ни освещения, ни мощеных дорог, и даже точных сведений об имуществе и границах. Численность же населения города за последние 50 лет выросла в 10 раз.

Все изменилось с приходом нового городского главы в 1872 году. Назначенный на эту должность купец Бардыгин Н.М.(1835-1901) обустроил город каменными торговыми рядами, новым мостом и шоссе до железнодорожной станции, газовым освещением, гимназией, водопроводом, и т.д.
Bardygin's college buildings, Yegoryevsk
Bardygin's college  / Училище Бардыгина
Bardygin's greatest achievement was the establishment of a mechanic electro-technical college in Yegoryevsk, which was finally implemented by his son Mikhail.

The college was completed with the newest machinery from Germany and Switzerland. 12-15 year old boys were to compete for the enrolment and subsequent 5 years of education.
Вершиной деятельности Бардыгина явилось учреждение механико-электротехнического училища в Егорьевске, осуществленное уже его сыном Михаилом.

Училище было укомплектовано новейшим оборудованием из Германии и Швейцарии. На обучение принимались мальчики 12-15 лет на конкурсной основе. Срок обучения составлял 5 лет.
Main building of Bardygin's college, Yegoryevsk
Main building of Bardygin's college / 
Главное здание колледжа Бардыгина
Today the Yegoryevsk Technological Institute uses the building of the former college.

The Bardygin's funded a number of the infrastructure enhancement projects with minimum donations from the residents. For such a zeal in urban development, Mikhail Bardygin was to join the nobility, but due to the Revolution the papers were never sighed.  
Сегодня в здании бывшего училища размещается институт станкостроения.

Часть проектов по улучшению городской инфраструктуры Бардыгины финансировали самостоятельно или с минимальными пожертвованиями от горожан. За такое усердие в градоустройстве Михаил Бардыгин должен был быть причислен к дворянскому сословию, но из-за Революции бумаги так и не были подписаны.   
Mariinskiy convent gates, Yegoryevsk
Mariinskiy convent gates / 
Ворота Мариинского женского монастыря
Mariinskiy convent (1883) was yet another offspring of the Bardygins. It also included an elderly home. By the beginning of the 20th century, the convent was a permanent dwelling place for 100 women.

The extent of private philanthropy projects in the early 19th century Russia had reached 75 % of the overall donations in the country.
Мариинский женский монастырь (1883), еще одно детище Бардыгиных, включал еще и богадельню. Общая численность монахинь и стариц монастыря к к началу 20 века составляла около 100 человек.

Масштабы частной благотворительной деятельности в России начала 19 века достигали 75% от общей массы пожертвований.
Communist party office, Yegoryevsk
Communist party office / Приемная Компартии
Most and the poorest Yegoryevsk residents (workers, clerks, solders, tradesmen) welcomed the Revolution of 1917. Since the power in the town had already belonged to Bolsheviks, there was no fight as such. The owners of Yegoryevsk's factories were pushed aside from the management; and an 8-hour working day was introduced. In 1919, the factories were nationalized.
Большей и беднейшей частью населения Егорьевска (рабочие, служащие, солдаты, торговцы) Революция была встречена восторженно. Ведь власть в городе уже принадлежала Большевикам, поэтому и борьбы как таковой не было. Хозяева от управления Егорьевскими фабриками были отстранены, введен 8-часовой рабочий день, а в 1919 проведена их национализация.
Monument to the Conquerors of Space, Yegoryevsk
Monument to the Conquerors of Space / 
Памятник Покорителям космоса
Yegoryevsk's   industries underwent a considerable diversification during the Soviet period. Chemical, construction, machine building, woodworking, and food processing enterprises were set up. Half of them are closed now; the town become a destination for foreign and joint venture companies.  
В Советский период произошла значительная диверсификация промышленности Егорьевска. Появились предприятия химической и строительной отрасли, станкостроения, деревообработки и пищевой индустрии. Сегодня половина из них закрыта; в городе активно работают иностранные и совместные предприятия.
Industrial Art Nuevo, Yegoryevsk
Industrial Art Nuevo / Промышленный Модерн
The textile factories of Yegoryevsk functioned until 2010. However, the last decade can be called just a nominal one, even compared with pre-revolutionary production volumes.

The recent fire at a sewing workshop situated on the site of the Khludov's former factory clearly illustrates the tendency of the industry's development. 14 illegal Vietnamese immigrants were burned alive in a 40 square meters room, in which they lived and worked. They were locked up, basically imprisoned.

A similar incident happened on the same factory about 125 years ago. Forced to work in dangerous conditions, several workers died under the ruins of a dilapidated after a fire building.
Текстильные фабрики Егорьевска проработали вплоть до 2010. Хотя последнее десятилетие можно назвать чисто номинальным по сравнению даже с дореволюционными объемами.

О тенденции развития отрасли можно судить по недавнему случаю расследования пожара в пошивочном цеху бывшей Хлудовской фабрики. 14 вьетнамцев-нелегалов сгорело заживо в помещении площадью около 40 кв.м., где они и жили и работали под замком, а фактически в заключении.

Похожий случай произошел на этой же фабрике около 125 лет назад, когда несколько рабочих, принужденных к работе в опасных условиях, погибло под ветхим после пожара зданием.






Saturday, 1 December 2012

Kolomna / Коломна

View from an ancient settlement
View from an ancient settlement / Вид с городища
Kolomna's official foundation date is 1177, the year the town's first mention in historical documents. Nevertheless, archaeological findings in the ancient settlements of modern Kolomna indicate that the Finno-Ugric people populated this territory since 5 B.C. Settlements of the Vyatichi Slavs emerged here only somewhere between the 11th and 12th centuries.
Официальной датой основания Коломны считается 1177 год, когда город впервые упоминается в исторических документах. Тем не менее археологические находки на местах древних городищ и селений в районе современной Коломны свидетельствуют о том, что еще в 5 веке до н.э. эта территория была заселена финно-уграми, а славянские поселения вятичей появились здесь только между 11 и 12 веками.
Wooden house exterior decoration, Kolomna Kremlin
Wooden house exterior decoration, Kolomna Kremlin / 
Украшение деревянного дома, Коломенский Кремль
Kolomna was not destined to escape devastation from the raids of the Golden Horde khans. The town survived 6 enemy invasions within the period from the 13th till the 16th centuries.
Не избежала Коломна и разорения Золотоордынскими ханами. С 13 по 16 век город пережил 6 вражеских нашествий.
Sobornaya square, Kolomna Kremlin
Sobornaya square, Kolomna Kremlin / Соборная площадь, Коломенский Кремль
Vasiliy III (1479-1533) issued a decree ordering the construction of a stone Kremlin (1525-1531) in Kolomna. Italian architects were to take part in the construction. It was just slightly smaller than that of Moscow. The Kremlin centre was also marked by a ceremonial church complex, Sobornaya Square. Unfortunately, out of 17 Kremlin towers only 7 have remained until today, as well as some fragments of the adjacent walls.
По указу Василия III (1479-1533) итальянскими мастерами в Коломне возводится каменный K ремль (1525-1531). По размерам он лишь немного уступал Московскому, а центр его также был означен парадным храмовым комплексом, - Соборной площадью. К сожалению, только 7 из 17 его башен сохранилось на сегодня, а также некоторые фрагменты примыкающих стен.
Main street view, Kolomna Kremlin
Main street view, Kolomna Kremlin / Центральная улица, Коломенский Кремль
There is a story that a Russian Empress (8-17 May 1606) of Polish noble descent, Marina Mniszek (1558-1614) was a prisoner in one of the towers of the Kolomna Kremlin.

By the time of Marina's arrival to Moscow, her husband to be and son of Ivan the Terrible (1530-1584), False Dmitry I, had already been ruling in Russia for almost a year, as if having miraculously escaped death at a young age.

It is believed that Marina Mniszek was the one who introduced the fork to Russia. And she truly struck the court at her wedding banquet by using it. However, 4 days after the banquet an coup occurred; False Dmitriy I was stabbed and Marina could barely got away.
По одной из версий, русская царица (8-17 мая, 1606), дворянка польского происхождения, Марина Мнишек (1558-1614) находилась в заточении в одной из башен Коломенского Кремля.

Будущий супруг Марины Лжедмитрий I, якобы чудом спасшийся сын Ивана Грозного (1530-1584), уже почти год как правил в России, когда она приехала в Москву.

Считается, что именно Марина Мнишек привезла в Россию вилку и поразила ею всех придворных на свадебном банкете. А через 4 дня по еще его завершению случился переворот, Лжедмитрия I зарезали, а Марина бежала.

Wooden porch, Kolomna Kremlin
Wooden porch, Kolomna Kremlin / 
Деревянное крыльцо, Коломенский Кремль

In 1608 Marina wedded False Dmitriy II, allegedly the same False Dmitriy I who had narrowly escaped death again. In fact, it was an impostor, who had purchased the Mniszeks' consent. However he also had bad luck - within two years False Dmitriy II was killed.

In 1612 Marina declared her son Ivan the successor to the Russian throne. From then on they both were doomed for never-ending hardships and a life on the run. Two years later, they were finally caught and brought to Moscow, where her son was executed and Marina herself exiled in Kolomna, where she died.
В 1608 Марина обвенчалась с Лжедмитрием II, якобы чудом спасшимся Лжедмитрием I, а на самом деле, - самозванцем, купившим согласие Мнишеков.  Но и тут неудача, - через 2 года и Лжедмитрий II был убит.

В 1612 Марина объявила о правах своего Ивана на Российский престол, и через два года, полных лишений и скитаний, ее поймали и привезли в Москву, где ее сын был казнен, а сама Марина, по одной из версий, сослана в Коломну, где и скончалась.  
Type design house, Kolomna Kremlin
Type design house, Kolomna Kremlin / Типовой дом, Коломенский Кремль

A regular building system was introduced by a decree of Peter I (1672-1725) in 1722 and reached its apogee under Catherine II (1729-1796), when she approved redevelopment plans of Russian towns in person. Characteristic features of the system in Russia were straight streets with a rectangular layout of the quarters. Individual developers had to follow obligatory type designs.
Регулярная застройка была введена указом Петра I (1672-1725) в 1722г. и достигла своего апогея при Екатерине II (1729-1796), когда она самолично утверждала перепланировку российских городов. Для этого типа застройки в России характерны прямые улицы, с прямоугольной планировкой кварталов.  Для индивидуальных застройщиков были определены типовые проекты, по которым предписывалось осуществлять строительство.
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Kolomna Kremlin
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Kolomna Kremlin / 
Крестовоздвиженская церковь, Коломенский Кремль

The regular development plans dictated the priority of the ensemble unity. Thus, under any renovation or reconstruction, the new requirements for urban facilities were also obligatory for churches.
В планах регулярной застройки предусматривалась ансамблевость, поэтому и при перестройке и подновлении церквей учитывались новые требования к городским сооружениям.
Private house, Kolomna Kermlin
Private house, Kolomna Kermlin / Частный дом, Коломенский Кремль

The introduced restrictions met with little enthusiasm from the public. Though, since fires in the unplanned towns were very frequent and destructive, the regular urban development commenced on the ashes, when obviously there was no other choice. Thus, the Empress adopted a regular plan for Kolomna in 1784, just two years after a fire had almost completely destroyed the town centre.
Нововведенные ограничения не встретили большого энтузиазма у населения. А поскольку пожары в нерегулярных городах были весьма разрушительны и часты, то типовые градостроительные работы начинались в основном на пепелищах, когда выбирать было уже не из чего. Так, регулярный план  Коломны был принят Императрицей в 1784, спустя всего 2 года после того, как огонь почти полностью уничтожил центр города.
Facade of a town estate, Kolomna
Facade of a town estate, Kolomna / 
Фасад городской усадьбы, Коломна
In spite of all the regularity of the development, there were no restrictions on luxury housing. The houses of the wealthy had richly decorated facades.

The early 19th century morals of Kolomna residents were best described by Ivan Lazhechnikov (1792-1869), a native of the town and a forefather of the Russian historical novel, in his story "The whitish, blackish, and greyish" (1856).

“...
Praskovya Mikhailovna noticed two country maids in crowd of women. Each of them was holding a boy in a chemise before her, protecting him from the frost by the flaps of her fur coat.
- What are they, are they your younger brothers? - asked Praskovya Mikhailovna. The question evoked laughter from the crowd.
- Then they must be your kids, really? A burst of rolling laughter followed.
- These are their husbands!
– a few shouts returned to her.
- Ah! How old are they, after all?
- That is the husbands'?
- Yes.
- This spring Feast of St Nicholas they have turned 14.
- And the country maids?
- As to the country maids, the one is only a year to 20, another is just accurately 20.

It is necessary to point out that young wenches were very much spoiled by fathers-in-law, who made their old spouses, which once had a share of happiness in past, to do all the dirty work. There was always a cake or a roll for the young daughter-in-law, or a mirror fraction, acquired from a wanton house-serf, or considered the most precious, a small piece of white soup.

Old women were respected only for keeping up appearances, among people on streets; at home they were nothing. That immoral queue used to move with every next generation till a beneficial decree was enacted (1830); it ordered men not to marry before 18 or women before 16.
…”
При всей регулярности строительства ограничений на роскошь не вводилось. Дома состоятельных горожан отличались богатым декором фасадов.

Описание нравов Коломенцев начала 19 века хорошо представлено в повести Беленькие, черненькие и серенькие” (1856) Ивана Ивановича Лажечникова (1792-1869), уроженца здешних мест прародителя русского исторического романа.

“...
Прасковья Михайловна заметила, что в толпе женщин две молодки держали перед собой по одному мальчику в рубашонке, защищая их от холоду полами своих шуб.
- Что, это – ваши братишки? – спросила Прасковья Михайловна. При этом вопросе в толпе послышался смех.
- Так неужели детки? Тут уж раздался заливистый хохот.
- Это мужья их! – закричало несколько голосов
- Ах, так сколько ж им лет?
- Мужьям-то?
- Да.
- С Николы Вешнего пошел 14-тый.
- А молодицам?
- А молодицам, - одной без годика 2 десятка, другой ровнехонько 2.

Надо заметить, что этих молодых бабенок очень баловали свекры, налегая всей тяжестью черных работ на старых жен своих, которые также имели некогда свое счастливое время. Молодой невестке – пряник или калачик из города, и кусок зеркала, купленного у гулящего дворового человека, и, что считалось большой драгоценностью, кусочек белого мыла.

Старушкам был почет только для вида, при народе на улицах, а дома ставили их ни за что. Эта безнравственная очередь сменялась тогда с каждым новым поколением, пока не вышло благодетельное постановление (1830), чтобы не венчать мужчин прежде 18-ти, а женщин прежде 16-ти.
...”
Hairdressing salon, Kolonma
Hairdressing salon, Парикмахерская

In the late 19th century а more rational brick style was widely used in the construction of public and industrial buildings.
В конце 19 века при строительстве общественных и производственных зданий получил распространение более рациональный кирпичный стиль.  
Trinity church, Novo-Golutvin Monastery, Kolomna Kremlin
Trinity church, Novo-Golutvinskiy Monastery, Kolomna Kremlin / 
Троицкая церковь, Ново-Голутвинcкий монастырь, Коломенский Кремль

There are four active monasteries in Kolomna, including two in the Kremlin. However, it was not always the case. In the period from 1920 to 1930, all the monasteries were abolished and their property nationalized. Monastic lifestyle resumed only after the property restitution in the 90s. However, restoration works began in the late 60s, when it was decided to turn Kolomna into a historical and architectural centre. In particular, Novo-Golutvinskiy monastery (1799) was to reconstruct into a hotel with a restaurant and a museum.
В Коломне четыре действующих монастыря, в том числе два на территории Кремля. Однако, так было не всегда. В период с 1920 по 1930 год все монастыри города были упразднены, а их имущество национализировано. Богослужения в монастырях возобновились только после возврата церковного имущества РПЦ в 90-х гг. Тем не менее, реставрационные работы начались начались еще в конце 60гг., когда Коломну было решено превратить в историко-архитектурный центр. В частности, в помещениях Ново-Голутвинского монастыря (1799) планировалось размещение гостиницы, ресторана и музе я.
Howitzer, Kolomna
Howitzer, Kolomna / Гаубица, Коломна


A howitzer in front of the Military glory museum was erected in 1975 in the memory of the Kolomna residents, who defended their Homeland during WW2.
Гаубица перед музеем Боевой Cлавы установлена в 1975 году в память о воинах-Коломенцах защищавших Родину в годы Великой Отечественной войны.
Brick residential building, Kolomna
Brick residential building, Kolomna / Кирпичный жилой дом, Коломна

From the early 90s, the brick style in Russia was reborn again. It is now in high demand in residential construction.
С начала 90-х гг. кирпичный стиль в России переживает второе рождение, однако теперь он в основном востребован в жилищном строительстве.

Dormitory church entrance, Brusenskiy monastery, Kolomna Kremlin
Dormitory church, Brusenskiy monastery, Kolomna Kremlin / 
Успенская церковь, Брусенский монастырь, Коломенский Кремль

Kolomna is often beautified by the wrought elements produced by a local artisan - the blacksmith, Ilya Lebedev. He also put all the effort into opening a private museum of blacksmithing by the forge. His large collection of metal items has a timeline that stretches from the early beginnings to the present day. In addition, the museum exhibits the objects of rural lifestyle and ancient glass.
Коломну повсеместно украшают декоративные кованные изделия местного умельца – кузнеца, Ильи Георгиевича Лебедева. Его же стараниями при кузнице  открыт  частный музей кузнечного дела, где представлена крупная коллекция изделий из металла, временная шкала которой простирается от истоков до современности. В музее также организована выставка предметов сельского быта и старинного стекла.






Sunday, 18 November 2012

Noginsk / Ногинск

Epiphany Cathedral, Noginsk / Богоявленский Собор, Ногинск
Epiphany Cathedral, Noginsk / Богоявленский Собор, Ногинск
Rogozhy, a 14th century village, received town status and a richly sounding name - Bogorodsk (Noginsk in present) in 1781. By then, the newly established town had been home for just 100 residents. A century later there were already about 3,000 buildings, with approximately 850 dwellings.

The town’s contemporary Epiphany Cathedral (1767) is still an acting church. Public worship in the cathedral was ceased between 1938 - 1989, when minor orders, clergy, and some parishioners were executed by shooting.
Село Рогожи 14 века получило статус города со звучным именем Богородск (ныне Ногинск) в 1781 году. Жителей новоучрежденного города насчитывалось чуть более 100 человек. Век спустя одних только построек в городе насчитывалось около 3000, из которых жилые дома составляли примерно 850.

Ровесник города Ногинский Богоявленский собор (1767) действует и поныне. Богослужения в соборе прекращались лишь с 1938 по 1989, когда были расстреляны священно и церковнослужители, а также активные прихожане храма. 
Bogoroditse-Gluhovskaya factory, Noginsk / Богородице-Глуховская мануфактура, Ногинск
Bogoroditse-Gluhovskaya factory, Noginsk / Богородице-Глуховская мануфактура, Ногинск
From the mid- 19th century, Bogorodsk became a large textile centre. It’s most noticeable enterprise, the Bogoroditse-Gluhovskaya factory, belonged to the Morozovs', an industrialists’ dynasty. The scale of the enterprise could be judged by the number of the workers involved in the production process; about 10,000 of them were employed by the end of the 19th century. The factory sales market was not limited only to Russia . It also imported to China, Mongolia, Central Asia, Persia, Turkey, Romania, and Bulgaria.

It is remarkable that a great-grandson of a peasant and the dynasty founder Savva V. Morozov (1770-1860), Arseniy Ivanovich (1850-1932) - under whose management the factory reached its greatest success - studied the textile business in Manchester, England, which was a major textile centre in Europe. Not only was Arseniy learning the cutting-edge technologies of the time, but probably familiarized himself with the newest political economy articles, as well as witnessed the arise of the trade unions movement among blue-collar workers.  

С середины 19 века Богородск становится крупным текстильным центром. Самое крупное предприятие отрасли, - Богородице-Глуховская мануфактура принадлежала династии фабрикантов Морозовых. О масштабах производства можно судить хотя бы и по численности рабочих фабрики, - а к концу 19 века их насчитывалось около 10000. Торговала мануфактура не только в России, но и в Китае, Монголии, Средней Азии, Персии, Турции, Румынии и Болгарии.

Примечательно, что правнук основателя династии Морозовых, крестьянина Саввы Васильевича (1770-1860), - Арсений Иванович (1850-1932) при котором мануфактура достигла наибольшего расцвета, учился текстильному делу в Англии, в Манчестере, - крупном текстильном центре Европы. Здесь он не только изучал передовые методы организации производства того времени, но, возможно, и ознакомился с новейшими работами по политэкономии, а также стал свидетелем зарождавшегося профсоюзного движения в рабочей среде.
Workers’ barracks, Noginsk / Бараки рабочих, Ногинск
Workers’ barracks, Noginsk / Бараки рабочих, Ногинск
While head the factory in Russia, Arseniy Morozov not only concentrated on technical issues, but also paid attention to the working conditions and wellbeing of the workers. The factory premises and the workers’ barracks he built were equipped with ventilation, sewerage, and warm-air heating systems. In addition, the factory provided the workers with both the auxiliary premises for private use and intensified lighting of the working places.

However, although the housing was free, the workers were living in cramped conditions (2-3 square metres per person), they worked 12 a day, and an average salary was 2-3 times lower than in Europe or US. No wonder, that in 1905 the workers of the Bogoroditse-Gluhovskaya factory demanded the management to improve the working conditions. The petition included the following: a mandatory 8-hour working day, abolition of overtime, double payment for holiday shifts, abolition of fines and searches, reduction of white-collar staff, medical allowance, full salary when sick, etc. Yet that factory conditions were among the best in Russia. It did not suffer from large unrests or strikes.  
Возглавив производство в России, Арсений Морозов сосредоточился не только на технической стороне дела, но и на условиях труда и жизни рабочих. Помещения фабрики и бараки, построенные им для рабочих имели вентиляцию, канализацию и воздушное отопление. Также на фабрике были выделены подсобные помещения для нужд рабочих и усилено освещение рабочих мест.

Но хотя жилье и предоставлялось бесплатно, жили рабочие скученно(на человека приходилось 2-3 квадратных метра, рабочий день длился 12 часов, да и в среднем рабочие России получали в среднем в 2-3 раза меньше, чем Европейцы или Американцы. Неудивительно, что в 1905 году рабочие Богородице-Глуховской мануфактуры выдвинули ряд требований к руководству по улучшению условий труда. Их обращение включало: обязательный 8-часовой рабочий день, отмена сверхурочных работ, двойная оплата за работу в праздничные дни, отмена штрафов и обысков, сокращение штата служащих, медицинское пособие, сохранение зарплаты на период болезни и т.д. Тем не менее, условия на этой фабрике были одними из лучших в России. Крупных волнений или забастовок на данном предприятии не было.
Wooden house, Noginsk / Деревянный дом, Ногинск
Wooden house, Noginsk / Деревянный дом, Ногинск
The factory's   white-collars workers, including quite a number of foreign specialists, were allotted wooden houses. Given the fact that most of the equipment was made in England, their help was indispensable.
Служащие мануфактуры, среди которых было немало и иностранных специалистов размещались в деревянных домах. А так как большая часть оборудования была английского производства, помощь иностранцев была незаменима.
College, Noginsk / Училище, Ногинск
College, Noginsk /  Училище, Ногинск
Even today’s textile industry could not be considered eco-friendly. And the early 20th century technologies were hardly any safer for the human health. That is why a huge factory built in the middle of nowhere could not possibly cope without a medical supervision. The more so that the town’s infrastructure would obviously not had been able to manage the population explosion. Besides, legislation (1912) obliged manufacturers to provide first aid and ambulatory medical care for their employees if there were no other public institutions available. The Morozovs had built a hospital, as well as a tuberculosis sanatorium, public baths, and a maternity hospital.

It would be fair to point out a number of the Morozovs’ philanthropic projects of the early 20 century, which were enhancing the wellbeing of the factory employees and their families. A park, a stadium with running and cycling tracks, a boating station, and a theatre – toured by the best Moscow theatre troops – were built. The Morozovs’ chorus of the factory was well known all over the country and even released a couple of records.
Ткацкое производство и сегодня не считается экологически-чистым, а технологии начала 20 века и уж никак не могут похвастаться безопасностью для  здоровья человека. Поэтому огромная фабрика, построенная в чистом поле просто не могла обойтись без медицинского надзора, а городская инфраструктура явно не справилась бы со стремительным ростом населения. К тому же фабриканты законодательно (1912)обязывались обеспечить первую медицинскую помощь и амбулаторное лечение своих рабочих в случае отсутствия государственных медицинских учреждений. Морозовы открыли больницу, а также туберкулезный санаторий, баню и родильный дом.

Справедливости ради надо отметить и ряд других филантропических проектов Морозовых начала 20 века на благо сотрудников и их семей: разбит парк, построен стадион с беговыми дорожками и велотреком, открыта лодочная станция, театр, в котором давали гастроли лучшие московские труппы; хор при мануфактуре был известен на всю страну и выпустил несколько пластинок.   
School, Noginsk /  Школа, Ногинск
School, Noginsk /  Школа, Ногинск
The first laws regulating industrial work and education of those underage appeared in Russia only in the 1880-s. Initially there were plans to organize their education at the expense of the manufacturers, but soon they were abolished, and the state stepped in.  Nonetheless, the industry had been long demanding a more skilled workforce. Rather then wait for the issue to solve itself, the Morozovs were funding new schools and colleges.
Первые законы, регламентировавшие труд и обучение несовершеннолетних на производстве вышли в России только в 1880-х. Изначально планировалось организовать их обучение за счет фабрикантов, но впоследствии заботы об образовании несовершеннолетних взяло на себя государство. Тем не менее, интересы производства уже давно требовали повышения квалификации рабочих. И Морозовы сами спонсировали открытие школ и училищ не ожидая пока вопрос разрешится сам собой. 
Shopping arcade, Noginsk / Торговые ряды, Ногинск
Shopping arcade, Noginsk / Торговые ряды, Ногинск
The supply of foodstuffs and consumer goods supply to the factory employees was organized in a big way. In most cases, that was the same Morozovs’ other enterprises - to feed and cloth 10,000 workers daily. In stores belonging to the Morozovs as well, the employees could buy on credit. However, there was also a practice of compulsion upon the employees to buy only from the above stores.
На широкую ногу было поставлено и обеспечение рабочих и служащих мануфактуры продовольствием и товарами бытового назначения. В большинстве случаев это была продукция предприятий самих же Морозовых.  В принадлежащих им же лавках работники имели возможность приобрести товары в кредит. Однако, практиковалось и принуждение к покупке исключительно у Морозовых.
Tikhvin church, Noginsk / Тихвинский Храм, Ногинск
Tikhvin church, Noginsk / Тихвинский Храм, Ногинск
The Morozovs’ were Old-believers. A branch of the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC), Old-believers had split from the ROC in the mid- 17th century as they did not accept Patriarch Nikon’s reform of the ROC. The opposition grew into the victimization and mass executions of the Old-believers. Persecutions from the ROC and the autocracy had only softened in the mid- 19th century. Yet it was not fated for the Old-believers to free from suppression. The Revolution of 1917 did not accept religion in principle; there was no difference in the new repressions against the ROC and the Old-believers.
Морозовы принадлежали к Старообрядческой ветви православной церкви, отколовшейся от РПЦ в середине 17 века в силу неприятия реформ патриарха Никона. Противостояние переросло в преследование и массовые казни Старообрядцев. Гонения со стороны РПЦ и самодержавия смягчились только в середине 19 века, но полностью освободиться от репрессий Старообрядцам так и не удалось. Революция 1917 года в принципе не приемлела никакой религии и репрессии коснулись как Старообрядцев, так и РПЦ в равной степени.
Office building, Noginsk / Офисное здание, Ногинск
Office building, Noginsk / Офисное здание, Ногинск
World War I, a bad harvest, hunger, shortage of cotton supply, lack of spare parts and components from Western countries, the Revolution of 1917 and the subsequent nationalisation, replacement of the management and decrease in qualified workforce resulted in a huge drop in the production volumes of the Bogoroditse-Gluhovskaya factory.  Unfortunately, Arseniy Morozov (1850-1932) did not see a rebirth of the factory at the end of the 1930, when production gained  pre-Revolutionary levels. About the same time, the factory organized a subsidiary. Similar to Morozovs’ stores, it supplied the employees with the foodstuffs, etc.


I Мировая война, неурожай, голод, сокращение посевных площадей под хлопок, закрытие Западных рынков и отсутствие запасных частей и комплектующих, революция 1917 с последующей национализацией и заменой руководящего состава и выбывание квалифицированных кадров привело к существенному сокращению объемов производства на на Богородице-Глуховской мануфактуре. К сожалению, Арсений Морозов (1850-1932) так и не дождался ее возрождения в конце 1930-х, когда производство достигло довоенного уровня. Примерно в это же время предприятие обзавелось собственным подсобным хозяйством, как и бывшие Морозовские лавки, снабжавшее работников продовольствием и т.п.
Soviet brick house, Noginsk / Кирпичный дом Советского периода, Ногинск
Soviet brick house, Noginsk / Кирпичный дом Советского периода, Ногинск
With the revival of textile production, the housing problem returned to Noginsk. There were financial limitations for the development within the first Soviet decade. In the 1940s-50s the situation did not improve due to the need to restore the economy after WW2. And only by the 1970s, a century after the housing problem formation, was a tangible progress achieved.
С возрождением текстильного производства в Ногинске опять возникла проблема с жильем для рабочих. В первое десятилетие Советского периода финансирование нового строительства было ограниченно, в 40-50-х оно затянулось еще из-за необходимости восстановления экономики после Мировой войны. Tолько век спустя после возникновения жилищной проблемы в 1970гг. удалось достичь реального прогресса в ее разрешении.
Main street, Noginsk / Центальная улица, Ногинск
Main street, Noginsk / Центальная улица, Ногинск
In the Soviet period Сonstructivism, Stalin Empire, and Neoclassicism buildings supplemented the Morozovs’ brilliant Art Nuevo in Noginsk. Most of the historical town centre is in a good condition and awaits tourists, who are a rare species here these days.
В Советский период блистательное Морозовское Art Nuevo Ногинска дополнили здания в стиле Конструктивизма, Сталинского Ампира и Неоклассицизма. Большая часть исторической застройки центра города неплохо сохранилась и ожидает пока немногочисленных здесь туристов.
WW2 memorial, Noginsk / Памятник героям Великой Отечественной, Ногинск
WW2 memorial, Noginsk / Памятник героям Великой Отечественной, Ногинск

During WW2 a military pilots’ school operated in Noginsk, and the town’s industrial enterprises were reorganised to serve the army's needs.
Во время Великой Отечественной войны в Ногинске была организована школа военных летчиков, а промышленность города была переориентирована на выпуск продукции военного назначения.
Industrial buildings, Noginsk / Промышленные здания, Ногинск
Industrial buildings, Noginsk / Промышленные здания, Ногинск
Disintegration of the Soviet Union resulted in a major loss of sales and raw material markets for the textile industry, and the county’s home market was opened to cheap imported goods. As a result, textile enterprises of Noginsk had to considerably cut their production volumes. Some efforts at reorganization brought no success. In 2000 the heir of the Morozovs’ empire JSC Gluhovskiy Tekstil was declared bankrupt.


                                                                   
С распадом Советского Союза многие рынки сырья и сбыта текстильной промышленности России были утеряны, а собственный рынок открыт для дешевого импорта В результате текстильные предприятия Ногинска были вынуждены существенно сократить объемы производства, а отдельные попытки реорганизации производства не увенчались успехом. В 2000 году наследник империи Морозовых ОАО «Глуховский текстиль» было признано банкротом.
Trade centre, Noginsk / Торговый центр, Ногинск
Trade centre, Noginsk / Торговый центр, Ногинск
The durability of the Morozovs’ buildings demonstrates the remarkable quality of the construction works. Dating about 1900 they are still in commercial use today.
О добротности строительных работ при Морозовых говорит тот факт, что здания 1900-х годов  используется коммерческими организациями и по сей день.
Art Nuevo ruins, Noginsk / Руины Модерна, Ногинск
Art Nuevo ruins, Noginsk / Руины Модерна, Ногинск
However, a number of the buildings require a proprietary interest. It would be wonderful, should these buildings be blessed with a new life in Noginsk.
Тем не менее, ряд зданий требует хозяйской руки. Было бы прекрасно, чтобы эти уникальные здания обрели новую жизнь в Ногинске.
New blocks of houses, Noginsk / Новые кварталы, Ногинск
New blocks of houses, Noginsk / Новые кварталы, Ногинск
The new blocks of modern houses in Noginsk can be proud of cleanness and good amenities. Yet the local traffic jams are about the same those of Moscow.
Новые кварталы современного Ногинска могут похвастаться чистотой и благоустроенностью, однако пробки здесь не хуже московских.
Public garden, Noginsk / Сквер, Ногинск
Public garden, Noginsk / Сквер, Ногинск
Noginsk has many public gardens and a park with a lovely lake. Nonetheless, because of the large number of the industrial enterprises the town is suffering air pollution problems.
В Ногинске много скверов и парк с прелестным озером Тем не менее, из-за большого числа промышленных предприятий город испытывает проблемы с загрязнением воздуха.